We recently had an unwanted guest, here at Patchwork Garden.
I went out one morning, to get the newspaper, from the driveway.
The Big Dogs, from next door, were looking at something on the other side of the drive.
I went over to investigate....and this was the guy I saw.
Yes...that is a Coral Snake.
'Red on yellow, kill a fellow'
Well...even a poisonous snake might have been OK, if he hadn't headed for the Fenced Yard.
Miss Maggie was watching every move, through the front gate.
I knew, if he made it to that yard, she'd...as my mother would've said...
'be on him, like a duck on a junebug'.
That would NOT be a good thing.
So, I hurried into the garage and grabbed the above mentioned mother's old hoe.
It's a great hoe, by the way.
And, I chopped him in two.
Then, I went inside and had Mr P come out and check it out.
The snake was still moving it's head....so, again with the hoe, he chopped the head off.
Then, the ants took over. A few hours later, this is what was left.
Here's what I found from researching it.
These snakes' venom is neurotoxic. That means it attacks the nervous system.
The good news is, their head and fangs are pretty small. They have to 'chew' in order to inject the venom.
Can't picture many people letting that happen.
Most bites to gardeners are while weeding, etc.
Wearing shoes and gloves is the best defense....also, being aware of what's around.
They eat lizards and other small snakes.
So, places that attract those, are places theses Coral Snakes would hang out.
Although the bite may not be very painful, it is an emergency.
Get medical help.
I don't know why he was in our driveway, or if he'd been there before.
I'm just glad he didn't come in contact with Maggie.
That could have been deadly.