Friday, June 8, 2012

San Antonio Botanical Gardens...


Seems we've been spending a lot of time in San Antonio this year.



This time, it was the San Antonio Botanical Gardens.


We got there at mid-day.  And, as you know, that's not the best time for taking photos.



We did enjoy seeing the many demonstration gardens.  


They have plants for many different planting situations.


We picked a rather warm....hot?...day for this.  
I think I might enjoy it more, on a cooler, less humid day.




There were some interesting plants, I'd never seen before.


Like this Narrow Leaved Bottlebrush tree, from Austalia.

Copper plant, lantana, ruby chrystal grass, thryallis

And, gardens with plants I could easily identify.


A lot of plants had identification plaques...like this Salvia madrensis.


And, others did not.


Anyone know what this is?

Or this small tree?


I know I've seen this before, but can't place it.


This, I think, is Moy Grande hibiscus.


I recognized it from Diana's at Sharing Nature's Garden.


On the Native Texas Trail, there are three different Texas areas exhibited.

South Texas is above, with adobe buildings and cactus, mesquite and grasses that populate that area.


The East Texas Pineywoods was nice and cool, with a small lake and lots of shade.


This old log cabin, made of Post Oak logs, was built in 1850 and moved here.


On the Hill Country Trail, the Schumacher House was built in 1849, near Fredericksburg.
You can see the German influence, with the half-timbered construction.


Local limestone was used.  And, is that a Fredericksburg peach tree, in the back yard?


The Auld House is an 1880s cabin, built near Leakey.  It's used as a meeting facility now.

Notice the grasses and native plants in front.


The Hill Country 'meadow' in this area, was full of blooming sunflowers, eight feet tall.


There was also a demonstration of an Acequia..or aqueduct...like the one I showed you in the
San Antonion Missions posts.

There is a Japanese Garden.

Pretty and relaxing.

*******

More plants...

Brugmansia...I think

Coral Bean...

Crinum Lily...

One I'm not familiar with...False Dragonhead...Physostegia correllii.
Pretty...

And, a WHITE Turk's Cap.  Gotta find one of these.



One of our favorites was the Rose Garden.  Very formal and full of blooms.

I didn't get the names of any of them.

two colors, on this peppermint looking one.

Pretty...

And, on this single rose.

I love yellow and white roses.  The heat had made them a little bruised looking.

And, my favorite...this beautiful coral color.

I lucked out with that photo.  I'd like to say it was my 'skill'...but, it just happened.

That's how it works, in gardens.

Have a Great Weekend...
~~Linda~~



10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool overview! My next visit will include this garden, and this gave me some places to start figuring out my journey through it all. Some of the scenes are stunning in their layout.

    The water features and the houses with demonstration plantings are really nice touches.

    Your mystery plant looks like Texas Olive / Cordia boisseri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I haven't been there this year. Love the Moy Grande hibiscus. It is gorgeous!! Also love the Brugmansia. Hope you have a fantastic weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Botanical Gardens are beautiful, I enjoy visiting and we're lucky to keep our visits to days when the weather is nice! It gets hot here!

    My best tip is when it's hot, the Riverwalk is the coolest place in town. Try the Japanese Tea Garden too, both are below street level making them cooler than areas around them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my favorite exhibits there is the demonstration of different types of yard designs, including native plant, low water designs. It's a fun place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a fabulous visit! Wonderful pictures and many interesting plants! Wow wow wow! Thanks! 8)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your tour was excellent, I almost don't have to go now. That white Turk's Cap was stunning as was the False Dragonhead. Two more to look for.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful tour! SA Botanical Gardens just keeps getting better and better. The first yellow mystery flower is some type of unusual hibiscus or it's at least in the same family.
    David/:0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The one you call False Dragonhead...Physostegia correllii, is more commonly called False Obedient plant in Texas.

    Nice tour! I'll have to visit there-hopefully soon!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments. Thanks for dropping by.

This is a word verification free blog. It seems to be working out, so far.

~~Linda...