Saturday, June 16, 2012

Foliage Follow-Up...June 2012...

June 16.

The day after Bloomday, we join 
for 
Foliage Follow-Up.

This month, we have the usual suspects, here at
Patchwork Garden.


The front Island Bed is coming along.
The Yucca Rostrata, Mexican Feathergrass and Lantana are doing good.


Artemisia 'Powis Castle' is a reliable foliage plant that adds an airy look, beside the structured plants.


Moving around to the side of the house, Dusty Miller in containers add another silver, airy touch.


The Inland Sea Oats are filling in, in a shady corner beside the garage.


Inside the Fenced Yard, Liriope is a good old stand-by.


Lamb's Ear and Purple heart make a good combination.


The striped leaves on this Canna, give the garden interest, 
even when there are none of those great blooms.


On the deck step, a pot of deer resistant Blue Fescue grass is working.


The old firepit-turned-planter holds an Agave lophantha.  It's growing and putting out pups.
I'll soon need to cut out the pups, and move them somewhere else.


Inside the Veggie Garden, the grapevine we got on the Wine Trail last year, is looking healthy, 
and growing up the fence.


Outside that fence, the Prickly Pear I moved from the shade of the Deer Grove,
is loving the extra sunshine.
And, the Mexican Feathergrass here is taking off.  And...there are lots of little baby
Feathergrasses, too.  I'll be moving them all around the place.


This Agave I rescued from our neighbor Elli's redo last year,
is beginning to grow.  Another one is not doing as well.  
But, the deer have left them alone...for now.


Lastly, I don't know what is happening to this new Yucca.
It hasn't been watered too much...and, I hope not too little.  But, it's not looking so good.

It's supposed to look like this.  
Any ideas?

So....show us your foliage.
Hop over to Pam's, and see some great plants.

Have a Great Weekend...
~~Linda~~

16 comments:

  1. Nice variety - the Mediterranean look of the powis castle and dusty miller is everywhere out here, but there, it grabs me. The potted blue fescue is simply amazing with that terra cotta pot...perfect colors and plant growth...our fescues just don't look like that, even in shade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that gray and purple combination. Any foliage with color just makes the garden better, in my opinion.
      The fescue does pretty well here. I planted some in the Front Bed in the shade. Four of seven died. I moved the rest to a place that got a lot more sun...then pretty much forgot about them. They got watered last year, in our Summer from Hell, when I remembered, and got a lot of afternoon sun. Two more died, but one held in there. Impressive...so I bought more. I like their fluffy attitude.

      Delete
  2. Ooh love the colors on those striped canna leaves. The rostrata is looking really good out there. I also like that fescue in the terra cotta.

    Have you tried pulling the brown leaves off the yucca to see if the stem is soft? Sometimes when we plant in caliche clay we hit an area that doesn't drain well or the opposite problem and the water drains too fast. I'd put it in a pot to see if it can be saved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting those dead leaves off the yucca, is on my to do list this week. I've tried to be careful and not water it too much. It's built up with some gravel mixed into the clay and a little compost. Maybe it does drain a little fast. Everything else in that bed seems to be doing fine.

      Delete
  3. Ohhhhh...what kind of soil is that poor Yucca in, and how much are you watering? How hot is it? Is it possible the grower did not harden it off to full sun before you bought it? Here they can take a LOT of water, and grow all the faster for it, but drainage is sharp and temperatures are usually mild, <80F. It appears the old foliage is what's dying off, so the plant is trying with apparent success to preserve the new growth. What I see with too much water is black spots on the foliage, rather than die-off. If you get a stretch of mild weather you might have to dig it up to see what's doing with the root system.

    Your other plants look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sitting in a clay, compost and gravel mix....built up for better drainage. That's worked with all the other yuccas and agaves. I'm going to trim it up and keep an eye on it to see what happens.

      Delete
  4. Your hot-weather plants are looking very fine. I'm sorry about your ailing yucca. It doesn't look like weevil damage. Not sure what the problem is though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...I don't think it's weevils. I looked closely and couldn't see anything that looked like insect damage. Guess it's a wait and see proposition.

      Delete
  5. I too have had deer problems but found that wind chimes keep them out of my yard. A doe is raising her fawn in a motte of trees 25' from my yard for the 3rd year but this year she is not supplementing her diet with my roses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing much scares the deer around here. They're VERY domesticated....they'll walk right up to you. We just have to screen or spray repellents, and hope for the best.

      Delete
  6. This is a great idea that foliage follow-up! Maybe I should have a second look at my garden...I just started to buy some plants for their foliage: it's always beautiful and eye-catching even when there are no flowers around. 8)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love foliage. It's always reliable when the blooms don't show up.

      Delete
  7. Love the Canna! I'm not sure on the yucca, but I like Shirley's idea of moving it to pot for observation and recovery. I've been struggling with the cactus bugs, but I don't think that's the problem here. I hope you figure out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it's a bug. There are a couple holes in one leaf, but nothing that looks like it would kill the plant. The top looks healthy. I think I will take it up and check things out.
      I'd hate to lose it. It was supposed to be the centerpiece of that bed.

      Delete
  8. I was going to comment on your pretty silvers, but... I think that I got struck by the love bug. That canna! It's awesome! Do you remember which one it is? (I really want to try to track that guy down next year!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That canna is a beauty. We got it at a farm stand close to us. They sell cut flowers and some bedding plants. It was labeled 'red canna'.
      I'd like the real name, too. But, it's pretty, whatever it's true identity is.

      Delete

I love your comments. Thanks for dropping by.

This is a word verification free blog. It seems to be working out, so far.

~~Linda...