Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The Final Frontier....


This is the back of the house last fall.  Yep...it was dry out there.



A couple of years ago, I dug out a small bed back there.  


It wasn't much, but it worked for the time.  I had other irons in the fire.
You can see one of my solutions for shielding plants from deer....upside down tomato cages.
It actually works...sometime.


I had wanted a raised planter box along here.  But, the moaning that occurred whenever I mentioned the 300 landscape bricks and all the loads of soil to fill it, made me rethink what I wanted.


So, on to the new plan.  
We dug a bed, added some compost, and put bricks and rocks along the edge.


It's looking pretty good, so far.  All the plants are from other areas of the yard....
Autumn Sage, Prickly Pear, Candy Lily and Iris, Salvia Leucanthus...and some Mexican Feathergrass babies.


I moved what I hope is a Coral Vine to grow up this trellis.




It's all drought resistant.  This area gets LOTS of afternoon sun.  


Right now, we're enjoying the blooms on the Prickly Pear.


So, it looks a lot different.  I think I like it already.  And, when everything fills in, I'll like it even more.

Ah...the Last Frontier.
Well....maybe.

Happy Gardening...
~~Linda~~

7 comments:

  1. What a wonderful long bed you have now. I really like what you did under the downspout. Great idea. The Prickly Pear bloom is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely drainage solution for the downspout - way better than the standard concrete rectangle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW Linda! Love that Prickly Pear! When I see one in bloom like that I always ask myself, “Why don’t I have one?” Congratulations on completing all that work! It looks great and will only get better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it satisfying to see beauty come from your effort? I remember your early posts about digging new beds, rain and the lack thereof, deer and fences and planting. Your photos show a different more beautiful world from those early pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I know that you know how hard it is to garden here...all the rock and the deer. Always a challenge.

      Delete
  5. The green is definitely a big improvement over brown. Those pictures really show the different. I really like the drainage stones for your down spout. I hope it gets lots of rain-exercise soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you all like the stones at the down spout. Someday, I want another rain barrel right there. For now, the stones help stop some erosion.
    Now, if we could just get enough rain to see how it works.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments. Thanks for dropping by.

This is a word verification free blog. It seems to be working out, so far.

~~Linda...