Thursday, September 16, 2010

Flowers and Leaves....

Orange Esperanza

Again this month, I'm running late with Bloomday, so I'm combining it with Foliage Follow-up.  I can almost hear my dad chuckling.  He was always after me, for running late.


Autumn Fern

It's been interesting, since last Bloom and Foliage days.  July and August were hot and dry.
Then, we were visited by Hermine.  She wasn't the nicest guest.  She dropped LOTS of  water, on the area.
So, things are a bit bedraggled.


Wax Begonia

Most things liked the extra water.  Some, are looking pretty bad.  You won't see the Lamb's Ear that the water flowed over.  It's coming back.  But, it gets pretty squishy, with too much water.


The Inland Seaoats like some extra water.  They're putting on their fall colors.


Impatiense like extra to drink, too.

And, one of my favorite combinations of foliage, the Persian Shield and Coleus, with Oyster Plant peeking out.



The Castor Bean has a small bloom.  I'm hoping for some seeds, for next year.



The foliage is nice...although, I wanted it to be taller, by now.

Plectanthus 'Lavender Mona', likes some shade and extra water.  This is one of my favorites.  Easy to propagate from cuttings and it's bloomed all summer.  I didn't get a picture of the purple underside of the leaves.  It's good for foliage and flowers.  I'll be taking lots of cuttings soon, to make sure I have some next year.  It doesn't like the cold.



The Palm Grass is beginning to grow.  It was tested by the deer.  I was hoping it would be much taller, by now.

The Sago Palm we were worried had been frozen, has popped back quite nicely.

The Mexican Bush sage, salvia leucantha, is putting on it's fall show.  This is a tough plant.  Needs very little water, and likes lots of sun.

The gold Lantana is about to bloom a lot.  Notice the mesh....the deer like the blooms....grrrr...

Plumbago is doing well, despite too much shade.

And, speaking of too much shade...this Indigo Spires sage will be moved this winter.  It needs lots more sun.

The Agaves my neighbor gave me a while back, are doing well.  These are tough plants, too.



No talk of foliage would be complete, without the Cuban Oregano.  I really like this one.  More cuttings will be taken, for plants for next year.

I'll finish up, with another one of my favorites...Thryallis  It has been blooming a lot.  It's a bit 'leggy', I think.  But, as long as it blooms like this, I'll leave it where it is.

 
If you'd like to see more Garden Bloggers Bloomday posts, visit Carol at May Dreams Garden. And, for more Foliage Follow-up, visit Pam at Digging.

HAPPY GARDENING…
~~Linda~~

6 comments:

  1. My castor plants love the angry sun here.....moist soil and hot hot sun....it's amazing how large these get!! For every pod grown, you will get three seeds....these plants have paid for themselves:) So if you have a super sunny spot, try one there and see if that makes a difference....but it looks like you may have some production in the next couple weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be interested in seeing how your Palm Grass does - that's one I've considered in the past but have never taken the plunge on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty flowers! Seems your garden was so healthy. Wish I can have a healthy garden too. I'm been looking for interesting topic as this. Looking forward for your next post. Keep posting!

    -yumi-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Inland sea oats is one of my favorites, especially at this time of year. And so easy to grow. Thanks for joining in for Foliage Follow-up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the yellow vine. Is it hardy?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! Those flowers caught my attention. It seems you have a great flower gardens. How I wish I could have a cool garden like yours. Keep it up!

    toni

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments. Thanks for dropping by.

This is a word verification free blog. It seems to be working out, so far.

~~Linda...