Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Fall in the Grove...


We've had some wonderful weather, for the last week.  Fall is finally here.

The grasses in the grove are glowing in the late afternoon sun.


With the extra rain this year, we've had a lot more growing in the Deer Grove....that's the wooded area behind our house.  The sun sends shafts of light, between the trees.


The fountain type grass, is still making a show.  It's been joined by a couple others.

I did some research and think I know what kind they are.  If anyone knows something different, please let me know.


I think this might be Lindheimer muhly, Muhlenbergia lindheimeri.  It's not as tall as the description, but looks a lot like the pictures.


This is either Ear Muhly, Mulenbergia arenacea, or Gulf Muhly, Muhlenbergia capillaris.  Since it's not very pink, I'm thinking it's the Ear Muhly.


And, this must be Big Bluestem, Andropogon gerardii. 

We're really enjoying this show of grasses.  Coming from an urban setting, where grasses were mostly mowed down, it's good to see them left alone.

And, we're enjoying the weather.  It makes it so pleasant to get out there and work in the garden.  I hope you're having the same fun.

Happy Gardening...

~~Linda~~


8 comments:

  1. The grasses are very pretty this time of year with the light shining on them.
    The weather has been wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda,

    The sound of the grasses blowing in the wind are something to cherish. Since I am losing my hearing, bit by bit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun to see your grasses. It's hard to figure them out, isn't it?

    Loving this fall weather!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Linda,

    I've been enjoying your blog for awhile now and thought I'd jump in.

    The first is definitely not Lindheimer muhly, it might be a bristlegrass. Knotroot I think.

    You're right that the second isn't Gulf muhly. It might be a lovegrass.

    Not sure about the third but if it stands about 3 to 6 feet tall then it might be Big bluestem. It would be unusual to find it in your area. Big blue usually has three spikelets which are redish brown.

    Grasses ARE very hard to identify but this is the best time of year to do it since they're in "flower".

    A good book is "Grasses of the Texas Hill Country" by Loflin & Loflin.

    Keep up the good work Linda. I'm enjoying someone else go through this crazy HC gardening learning curve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, thanks for this! They are lovely. I also thank the person who jumped in with identities. I knew it wasn't Lindheimer or Gulf, but beyond that, you got me. Hmm, seems like a good CTG segment. May hit you up for pictures in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the sun shining trough in shafts! I picked the wrong year to let my lawn go...with all the rain, it's thriving.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your grove of grasses looks wonderful with the light shining through it. I wish I was better at identifying grasses. I really only know the common ones and those obnoxious ones like Johnson grass and King Ranch blue stem. Such horrors. Anyway I think that the 5th photo is sand lovegrass Not 100% sure but I have this growing too. I took a look at the seed head which has several flattened seeds like wheat. I certainly hope the bluestem is not King Ranch. If it starts to take over like crazy, crowding out other grasses then that is what it is. It is a nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm loving the grasses this year. It's like having a 'free' garden I don't have to water and tend....just enjoy.
    Even the Johnson grass has pretty heads.
    I need to look for that book on Hill Country grasses.

    Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments. Thanks for dropping by.

This is a word verification free blog. It seems to be working out, so far.

~~Linda...