Friday, July 9, 2010

Rain...Rain...


Is this a case of 'Be careful what you wish for'?  After all...this time last year, we were suffering through record heat, and the second year of sever drought.



Things were looking pretty sad.  Grass was brown and crispy.  The critters, were all looking for hand-outs. 
We kept the birdbaths, and some other water containers, full.

 

But, this year has been different.  We put in The Rio last fall, to take care of some of the run-off.



Sometimes, it's just not enough.

This morning, I awoke to the sound of rain....heavy rain.  I got up, and looked out.  Water was rushing through the driveway....coming close to the top of the porch.  The back yard, was rushing water.  The side yard, was rushing water.

In the scheme of things, we didn't get all that much.  Just a lot, all at once.



I didn't get pictures of all that rushing water.  It was, after all, barely light outside.  And, I didn't want to run around in pouring rain, in ankle deep water, and in my pajamas.


But, several hours later, it's still running off.  This comes off the driveway, runs down the side....


...and, into the Rock Garden.



You see the debris left behind.


It drains off quickly, and runs into the creek.  This part of the creek was dry, just a few weeks ago.

I have no room to whine, though.  The people along the Rio Grande, are being flooded out of their homes.

Next time I wish for rain, though, I think I'll be more specific.  I'll wish for a 'little rain'.

Candy Lily, Pardancanda norisssii

The good part....the flowers seem happy.

2 comments:

I love your comments. Thanks for dropping by.

This is a word verification free blog. It seems to be working out, so far.

~~Linda...