Saturday, October 26, 2013

A Little This...A Little That....


It's been a while since I posted here.
We've been here and there, and busy.

Today is overcast...more rain forecast...so I got out and took some photos.


Everything has been really loving our recent rains.


And, we've enjoyed not having to water.


Last time, I showed you our latest project and pointed out this was next.


Well...it's coming along nicely.
Not finished...but coming along.

We'll be putting in some stepping stones on the right side.


Water from the street always ran through here, whenever it rained.
It was washing away soil from tree roots.


So, we put in this cut limestone edging and a trench, to redirect the rain water.
And, it works!
It got it's first test the day we finished it, when we had three inches of rain.


Some 'Color Guard' yucca and cacti will be the basis of the plantings here.


I'm thinking this one will have to be replanted...maybe a bit more mounding for it's roots.
It's pretty flat right now.


It all ties in, with the new side project.


A bridge helps to further protect exposed trees roots.


More work needs to be done.
When is there not?
But, it's all coming along.


The deer have chomped to tops out of the Spanish Bayonet yuccas.
Not to be vindictive....but, I hope it HURT!


This nut sedge is coming up THROUGH thick cardboard and about three inches of mulch.
Nothing stops this stuff.


And, I can clean out the new fenced area again.
The golf course over-seeded with rye grass for winter, and it washed down to here.
I need to build this bed up more.  Maybe that would help.


But, most things are looking pretty good.
Looking over the Drive Bed, toward the Fenced Yard,
you can see things are pretty green.


The opposite view is nice, too.


Going through the gate, you can see how things are filling in.


A lot of this will die back for winter.  But, I hope I've added enough evergreen things
for some winter interest.


We'll have that same scenario, on the other side.


And, along the front fence bed.


The Turk's Cap, at the back of the Fenced Yard, is really putting on a show.


Love those bright red blooms.


On the front porch, I changed out a Holly Fern, for a Foxtail Fern.


The Holly Fern seemed to just need more water 
than I was remembering to give it.
So far, so good with this change.

*********************

On a more personal note...
we have good news, and bad news.

The good news is...
Our daughter has moved back, to be closer to us.
Right around the corner, in fact.
We'll get to see more of them.

The bad news is...
She moved back so we can help, 
while she's going through yet another
medical set back.

Our son-in-law, is headed back to Wyoming to work.
We're hoping he'll find a job down here, VERY soon.

God willing, we'll win these battles.

*********************
So...there's a little of this and that from around here.

Hope all is good in your neck of the woods.

Happy Gardening...
~~Linda~~


10 comments:

  1. I'm only glad your deer (and our rabbits) aren't armed...at least so far. Nice progress on all your garden spaces, and nothing like rain (no well-planned irrigation can substitute). That front bed and edging are really looking good, but that green is almost blinding..

    Sorry about your daughter, but that will be good you're all nearer.

    And congrats on your UT team's beating of my OU recently...sigh, but you all needed that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden is looking lovely! Wonderful weather we are having:)

    On a side note... I've dealt with health problems for many years. It can be quite difficult on the caregivers. Please don't forget to take time for yourself. The best way to take care of others is to take care of yourself first. Hope your daughter feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some lovely shots of your garden especially the fenced area with dry creek and pathway. I love the fence style. Perfect for the setting. It is hard to believe the deer eat the Spanish bayonet. They do eat my twist leaf and I never see a flower unless I surround the plant, which I have been known to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden is looking so pretty, we haven't seen a tour in quite a while and I enjoyed seeing all of it now that we've had some rain. I hope the beauty of it will provide a source of comfort for you as you help your daughter and family through the challenges ahead.

    Those deer are so unpredictable. I especially like the fence, we are looking at fence ideas for a deer proof area in the back yard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to laugh at the vindictiveness towards the deer---sometimes I feel the same way. Love how your garden is looking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden looks very nice and tidy, the Turk's cap looks great, but the header with your dog steals the show. Wish you all the best with your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All good. It`s looking so good and the labor is paying off. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all the changes you've been making in the garden. Everything looks wonderful! You've really been working hard. Sometimes garden therapy can be good for what ails you. I wish your daughter a speedy recovery. Ya'll take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My goodness what a lovely yard and garden area -- love those sweeping trees... so graceful.

    Hope your daughter heals soonest!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that Turk's Cap is almost like a vine on the fence. The garden looks great.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments. Thanks for dropping by.

This is a word verification free blog. It seems to be working out, so far.

~~Linda...