Tuesday, July 12, 2016

The More Things Change....


Doesn't it seem like,
the more things change,
the more they stay the same.


The Drive Bed, for instance.
The above is the second...or was it third...incarnation.
The first had a Yucca in the middle.
And, an agave on the far right.


Beetles destroyed the yucca, 


and the deer took care of the agave.

Oh...and that Powis Castle artemisia died.


So, we moved a Prickly Pear to the center,
and, a Yucca Rostrata to the right.

The Prickly Pear had lived in the Rock Bed, 
where I had moved it from the Deer Grove.


It liked it there, and did very well.
In fact, we cut it in two, and used it in two places.


And, it did well.


And, then the bugs struck.

And now, it's slowly falling apart.





And, doing strange things like this.
A new pad ON the fruit.

So now, we have to figure out what will replace it.
It's a large centerpiece. 
It won't be easy.

I guess that's why they say,
a garden is never 'done'.

Happy Gardening...
~~Linda~~

4 comments:

  1. It seems to be the nature of gardening in Texas. Nothing is forever. I would just take off the good pads and replant them. They grow like crazy. If you need A. weberi I have some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awful, your garden has it the worst I think. If it's not the deer, then the bugs. Those beetles got a lot of my plants this spring. I'm not sure what to plant next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That must be one of the most difficult spots in your garden. As far as I know these Prickly Pears are very tough but may be these beetles are tough too.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deer eat agaves?! And here, I've been complaining about raccoons. (Raccoons don't eat plants, just dig them and toss them about.) I'm having more of the bug-related problems myself and suspect that the stress of dealing with intense heat (we don't quite live with your "Death Star" conditions but we're getting closer) and drought weakens the plants, making them more susceptible to bug attacks. You're right, it's always something...

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments. Thanks for dropping by.

This is a word verification free blog. It seems to be working out, so far.

~~Linda...